Saturday, December 26, 2009

My Big Fat Smokey White Christmas

Oh, there are many other adjectives I could have used in my title.

Let me explain.....

As many of you know we had a winter storm barrel down on us Christmas Eve. I'm thinking earlier that morning "Oh, I can't wait to start a fire!" (Looking back....I wished I had waited). I went and got everything ready, and started lighting it. It took a few minutes and I realized that smoke was coming back in our house. After a few more minutes, our room was getting smokey. I jiggled the flue to make sure it was open, which it was! By then I'm freaking out. Steve comes to see whats going on. He walks outside to see what could be the problem. He comes in and tells me that the 50-60mph winds are literally pushing the smoke right back into our house. It was a disaster! It took us 2 hours trying to get the fire out and air our our bedroom. Everything was all smokey. At one point we had a cloud of smoke in our room. I wanted to cry!
After we got that taken care of, my brother's family came over. Stacy and I really wanted to start some new family traditions this year. Addy wasn't feeling very good, but we didn't want that to stop everything. The kids made reindeer food! Totally fun.

You take a can of oatmeal, and many different kinds of sprinkles. We let the kids take turns dumping sprinkles in.Then you shake it up really good.Then your kids can sprinkle it on the snow before they go to bed for Santa's reindeer! We were in the middle of a blizzard when we put ours out. So my kids were urged to just dump and run!

Then we read our Christmas story. This year it was "A Charlie Brown Christmas".

And lastly, the kids made a birthday cake for Jesus! It was beautiful!

When it was all said and done everybody went home. Travel was impossible after that. Addy became very sick that night. She and I didn't sleep hardly at all. Stacy called me Christmas morning to tell me that half of her house had some stomach bug and had been throwing up all night. So, it's definitely been memorable one for us. I hope everybody else stayed safe....and is in good health!

Merry Christmas!

No comments: